2011년 7월 26일 화요일

EPIC FAILURE!!!


When I am working on something, I have to have started two or three other project at the same time because I can lose interest of one thing quickly. To prevent this, when I feel like I have done something good on one project, I move on to another. With my Cherub well on the way, I've started another angel, this was supposed to be St.Michael. I spent a lot of time doing the sketch on calico. This was going to be slightly larger than life size.

when I painted the face, I was extremely unhappy. Although you can't really see it in this photo, taken with my mobile phone, the colour is almost red, and because I had to apply an extra layer of paint due to the fact that I wasn't happy with the first layer of paint, it became rather thick and rigid. Also, I wanted to make it look as realistic as possible, but my rather exaggerated expression of light and shadow makes it look plastic. I knew I would linger and try to fix it somehow and ruin it further, I decided, after much dreading, to cut the face and add it in my visual diary as a trial.


One thing I did love about this face was its eyes, I felt they looked very realistic.



Studies


Failure of my St.Michael painting made me realise how important it is to practice before I work on something. I have been relying on chance and my instinct but I now understand how risky it can be. Since I want this collection to be absolutely the best work I can produce at the moment, I decided not to compromise and not accept anything less than perfection. I decided to do a series of studies of human face in smaller size, so that I can discover and get used to the techniques of painting with acrylic paints.



Each study took about an hour or so to do, and I was surprised to see myself enjoy doing this so much. I decided to paint as many face as possible and have a collection of them in my visual diary.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기