2010년 3월 16일 화요일

McQueen's Finale Pt 1




9th of March, 2010, I couldn't concentrate on anything all day, today was the day when late Alexander McQueen's last collection is to be revealed in Paris. When i finally got infront of my laptop, i held my breath and promised myself not to log on to The Fashion Spot because i knew there would be hundreds of fashion followers who will pour out their hearts to whatever they will see. I wanted to be sure to draw my own conclusion before I engage in any kind of discussion about what is expected to be one of the most emotional events in fashion world since the death of Gianni Versace some 13 years back.

When Robert Polet, the president and the CEO of Gucci group, announced soon after Alexander McQueen's death that the collection he has been working on will be presented as scheduled in Paris, I was glad because i was not ready to let go yet. But it was soon revealed that it would take a presentation form and shown only to few prominent editors without attendance of any photographers. It seemed very strange to me, I would have thought they would respect and honour McQueen's full vision. Alexander McQueen i knew and loved would not have wanted to go out like that but it was decided and some people actually thought it was a dignified choice and a perfect way to say good bye to the creative genius.

The garments were presented in a ornate room of a Parisian manor. McQueen's right hand, Sarah Burton explained that he was inspired by the art of the Dark Age, but found light in it. The 16 looks presented at the show, which was draped and cut by McQueen himself, had poetic yet regal romanticism that I love. He was working with religious iconography, using beautiful images of high church angels and Bosch demons. I loved the opulence and amazing Haute Couture craftsmanship involved in each exquisite fashion masterpieces. When fashion world has turned yet again to minimalism (I have seen more then enough beige camel coats past few weeks) to counter current economic status, it seemed such a 'McQueen' thing to do to move in complete opposite direction. But this was not just a youthful rebellion against the norm, it was more out of his love and absolute faith for his own art.

I have to admit that I love every thing about this collection, from the accessories to the location but I also have to admit that this show did not provide me with much needed closure. I was left wanting more rather than saying good bye. What upset me the most was the fact that I saw so much potential in this collection, there are so much more McQueen could have done or perhaps already have done with such a rich and beautiful theme. I would never know what his full vision was I know I am going to wonder about it for a long time but I will never know. This distressed me beyond comprehension. Apparently there were 200 looks that McQueen designed for this collection, out of those 200, the atelier would have finished most of the looks that was going to be on the show yet they decided to show only 16 looks. I can see the reason why they chose only to show pieces that McQueen worked on to pay him respect, but still, it would have meant more to him, and to the fashion world if the show at least included all the looks so that we may be able to see his full vision for one last time. Hopefully, we will be able to see them.


-Seph-

The Full Collection in HQ Image



















댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기