2011년 3월 25일 금요일

Fashion show diary-Fitting




I
would be lying if I said I was not intimidated today at the fittings for my first ever runway show. I arrived at the beautiful apartment building in South Yarra, I was so overwhelmed by the luxurious building and the amazing view!!(with the risk of sounding like such a dag). Monique kindly came down to greet us and we took the elevator to 12th floor where two models already made themselves comfortable and aquainted with each other, I nervously said hi, and tried to have a conversation but I really don't remember what I was talking about. I was about 10 minutes late, but I was glad to know that everybody was running late. I guess I was more nervous because I did not know what to expect from the other designers and the models, luckily, I was able to fit amazing models from Philip Darley Management. I was quite reluctant to be the first one to reveal my garments, as the designers arrived one by one curiously peeking at my garments as they come out one by one out of my painfully recognizable plastic garbage bags and especially after seeing how the other designers are dressed (looking professional and amazing in presumably their own designs). I know everyone was thinking that I looked like such a baby in my comfy jeans, school shoes and my blue jumper that I enjoy wearing purely because of its practicality, not for its aesthetic. I always thought as long as my designs are strong and unique, it would not matter how I looked, which is true, but as an aspiring young designer, I realised how important it is to present myself because it is the best I've got to advertise myself. After I got used to the environment, I was comfortable enough to ask each models to change up to three times and ask to see their walk, which was very exciting indeed. It gave me such a joy to see my garments come to life. Seeing them interact with poised and elegant walk of amazingly beautiful models made my heart jump, probably the reason why all my photos from today was blurry. I was able to breath a sigh of relief when I saw that all my garments fitted the models quite well, but I also had to come to terms with the fact that unlike many of my previous designs, the garments for the show lacked pizazz or the oomph. I really wanted this collection to be a well balanced fashion collection,I wanted to inspire but I also wanted people to see that these garments are for the real world. somewhere along the way, I think I focused more on the wearability of the designs. Two of the most fashionable people that came with me to the fitting to help me said that it was unlike me to have made something that are so commercial and that I really should think about the styling and possibly adding few new show-stopping garments. I thought I was completely ready for the runway show this Sunday but after the fitting, I realised that I still have a lot of work to do. I don't think I will be able to sleep until the runway date, but at least I will be happy drinking black coffees and staying up all night working on my garments. Seeing all the amazing garments of amzing designers around me made me feel little nervous but I took solace in the fact that all the designers' aesthetics were very different. One regret after seeing gorgeous male models is that I did not do any menswear :D
For more information about the fashion show, visit http://www.lacarteblanche.com.au/


-seph-
one of my favourite looks of the collection, I love the combination of different prints and colours, which was something that I did not think I could do. The chiffon skirt moves beautifully!

Coat and skirt. the necklace was designed by Kusi Kim, my jewelry designer friend. This was the first look I fitted and I almost screamed when I saw it on beautiful Felicity.

Another seperates, the top was inspired by the 18th century court costumes of Versailles. I really like this look because I think it combines my inspirations without compromising the practicality of the garments.

Super long boucle coat with dress, I was worried about the length of the coat but I think it works because the model is amazingly tall.

ball gown with hand-painted bodice. I forgot to bring the petticoat, but I think it still looks amazing.

African Goddess!

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기