2010년 5월 28일 금요일

Collection Diary No.3-Embellishments


I usually don't like excessive amount of embellishments. I used to add a lot of embellishments to my designs but it was only to disguise my lack of skills. I feel that some designers overuse embellishments to somehow hide their ordinary and bland silhouettes and cuts. Although it takes hours and hours of work, it is very easy to blind people with flashy beads to create momentary excitement. Perhaps this is why I never warmed up to the Haute Couture collections from Lebanese designer Elie Saab (no offence though). I also dislike the association of embellishments with couture. I have no problem with other people expressing their opinion, if they think something is a couture piece, I am fine with that but when young designers call everything they do a 'couture', it shows great lack of confidence in their design and in what they do. I don't need my designs to be a 'couture piece' for me to love them and be confident in them, it doesn't have to be anything other than what it is; I wouldn't care if people called my designs pieces of rubbish as long as I liked them. Same goes for the designers who says fashion is an art and gets very offended if people say otherwise. Fashion may or may not be an art but that is not the reason why I do it. Those designers who do are obviously suffering from inferiority issues. I don't need fashion to be anything other than what it is.
Anyway, going back to the point, I strongly believe that extraordinary designs are the ones that focuses on innovative cuts and silhouettes but after revisiting my favourite Haute Couture collections (mostly from Dior and Chanel), my love for the beads, pearls, embroideries and embellishments was reignited. I realised how John Galliano and Karl Lagerfeld, artistic director of Dior and Chanel respectively, uses embellishments without ruining the silhouette and creates masterpieces of designs.


I have been working very hard on my collection and I'm starting to see the progress (which is about time). Since this is my full collection, I have been putting a lot of time and effort perfecting the silhouettes. This time, I decided embellish my garments with Huate Couture grade beading (hopefully) to create masterpiece garments. It is a slow process but I am starting to pick up speed and it's looking amazing, if I may say so myself :).


Faux leather flower cutouts with jet black beads and mother of pearls in various sizes.


Both sleeves and the entire skirt to go :)



-Seph-

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기